Monday, February 10, 2014

Teal Carpenter's Star quilt and some HST magic

So I said I'd come back and post about the teal carpenters star quilt that I just finished.

I've been having some problems with the previous carpenters stars' points not quite matching.  This isn't something that really bothered me, as I am really just a process quilter; not a product one, but I thought I might poke around to see what I could do to make things (somewhat) better.  I had been making my HSTs by doing the usual draw the diagonal line on a square fabric and sewing 1/4" from the line, but I had seen some quilters use a larger square to make 4 HSTs at once.

Here's one great site that explains this, and another, and here's the math behind it, from the 2nd link / pinterest:



Since I was wondering if the bias edges made a difference, I cut my squares on the bias, seamed around them, and then cut my HSTs so that they would be on the grain / against the grain, not on the bias. 

Here's the resulting quilt, which has much better points than each of the other Carpenter's Square ones.  Now I just need to add a label and gift it to my friend Carla!!


So what are you doing for Ravellenics?

No comments: